Week 2: Activity – Spray Painting!

10958990_821707357876087_211090982_n

My sad attempt at “bubble letters.” The 2 colors used are metallic aluminum and metallic gold.

I have always wanted to try spray painting. Mainly because I have a “gunpla” hobby. I will talk more about this later. This is the first time I have ever used spray paint and I am pretty pleased with the results. It probably was not the best idea to paint gold onto a wooden board. But I used the aluminum as an outline to enhance the contrast. This was my third or fourth attempt at my name.

Spray painting takes a lot of commitment. I don’t know what I would have used if I messed up again on my last try. I only had two pieces of wood and I ended up both sides of both pieces. The first two times I painted the first three letters, “Kev,” too big that I couldn’t fit the last 2 letters. The third time was okay except it wasn’t till I finished that i realized gold on the outside was a bad idea. The fourth and last time was my best. It came out better than I expected after the first three times. The whole spray painting experience was definitely fun. Again, it takes patience and practice to get used to it. I did not expect to get it perfect the first time around but I also did not expect it to be that difficult! I learned to have patience when painting because once I press down on the nozzle, it is really hard to undo mistakes. It opened a new door for me. Well to be more specific, it has allowed me to take my hobby to the next level.

10952693_821707461209410_1932207663_n

The 2 colors I used are metallic gold and aluminum. The third can on the right is for other personal use. All of these were bought from Wal-Mart for about $3-$4 each. So why did I decide to go with these colors? Like I mentioned before, it was because of gunpla. Gunpla is a hobby that involves building these smaller scale mecha model kits based off giant robots from the Gundam Series in Japan. Once I heard that we were going to spray paint for this activity, I thought it would be a good idea to try out some painting on my models. I did not try it before because I did not want to invest into some paint and be disappointed by the results if it did not work out. However, I can say that I will be buying more in the future in different colors for my other models. I started off with gold and aluminum because I like that metallic look on a robot. Also I have this one model in particular that the gold that it came with was really dull so I wanted to recolor it.

10953309_821707384542751_1395265664_n

My paint station set-up

Pictured above is my “set-up” paint station. It consists of a styrofoam block, BBQ skewers, and some alligator clips. 90% of the painting done was in my garage and the other 10% was outside my yard. The skewers and alligator clips are used to hold pieces as I paint them and let them dry. The styrofoam is used to hold the skewers up so the pieces won’t touch any other surface. I took the pieces apart from my completed model to individually paint the pieces. The pipes were painted gold and the other pieces were painted matte. I did not use aluminum for this model, but I do intend to use it for a different one.

10957892_821707484542741_1167339938_n

Original piece on the left. Recolored piece on the right.

The gold was used for some of the pieces on the gundam. As you can see, there is a huge improvement from the original color to the repainted color. I am putting the finishing touches on the gundam as I am writing this. If the pieces dry in time then I might add more pictures of the finished model. Stay tuned!


EDIT: February 1, 2015 @ 9:16 PM

My girlfriend's attempt at spray painting her name, Tracy.

My girlfriend’s attempt at spray painting her name, Tracy.

Here is another picture of my girlfriend’s work. You can see the gold a little bit better with her name than mine. It was a new experience for both of us!

Shin Musha Gundam

Shin Musha Gundam

My Shin Musha Gundam is completed! I finished painting all the gold pieces and topcoating the rest of the gundam with a matte finish. I am really excited to paint some more of my other kits. I might post more in the future!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s